Friday, December 01, 2006

Did the Founding Fathers Violate Scripture?



I recently read John MacArthur's book entitled, "Why Government Can't Save You: An Alternative to Political Activism". Overall, the book was very good. It really helped me to better understand my responsibility to be a good citizen and submit to the government God has placed me under. It even helped me to see areas in which I needed a adjust my attitude toward those in authority at my job as well.

However, there is one point that MacArthur makes in regards to the founding of the United States that just didn't sit well with me. The remark is made on pp. 6-7, I will quote it below:

"Over the past several centuries, people have mistakenly linked democracy and political freedom to Christianity. That's why many contemporary evangelicals believe the American Revolution was completely justified, both politically and scripturally. They follow the argumentation of the Declaration of Independence, which declares that life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness are divinely endowed rights. Therefore those believers say such rights are part of a Christian worldview, worth attaining and defending at all costs, including military insurrection at times. But such a position is contrary to the clear teachings and commands of Romans 13: 1-7. So the United States was actually born out of a violation of New Testament principles, and any blessings that God has bestowed on America have come in spite of that disobedience of the Founding Fathers." (emphasis mine)

While I cannot disagree with everything MacArthur has written above, I have to totally disagree with him about the founding of the United States being a violation of New Testament principles! For a good explanation of the reasons why separation from England was legitimate in the case of our nation's history , I encourage you to read an article by Gary DeMar of American Vision called Is It Ever Right To Fight?

Soli Deo Gloria!

No comments: