Saturday, January 19, 2008

New Baby, Eschatology, and a Book Contest

What on on Earth could a new baby, eschatology, and a book contest have in common?

Let's see if I can tie them all together...

As I write this, my wife is pregnant with our fourth child (our 3rd son) and she's in the early stages of labor. She's already experiencing minor "birth pangs" so our child's arrival is immanent. In fact, the doctor has said that if the baby isn't here by Monday morning, they will be taking her in for an induction procedure.

To celebrate the arrival of my 4th child. I want to give away a book called The Day And The Hour by Francis X. Gumerlock. This book contains hundreds of false predictions of dates for the Rapture and Christ's 2nd Coming, myriad speculations of the identity of the Antichrist and the Beast of Revelation, as well as a host of other eschatological tomfoolery that has been taught within the church by prophecy prognosticators of the past and present.

The chapters chronicle the details century by century. Of course, when the reader gets to the 20th century he will encounter the cream of the date setting crop with the rise of Dispensational Premillennial eschatology.

How can you win a copy of this book?

I will mail a brand new copy of The Day and the Hour to whoever guesses the exact weight of my new son, or comes the closest to the correct weight. It's simple as that!

You may leave your guesses in the comment box or email them to me at rhettswhips at yahoo dot com. Whatever method you choose to use, just be sure I there's a way for me to get in touch with you if you should happen to guess correctly.

Keep this in mind: Our smallest child weighed 7 lbs 12 ounces at birth and the largest was 9 lbs, 9 ounces. So I think the safest bet would be to stay above 7 lbs.

You've got to hurry if you want to have a chance:

The contest ends when the baby is born, so get your guesses in soon!

Surely he comes quickly!!

(If you are a Dispensationalist, you might have interpreted that the "immanent" arrival of my next son means that the baby could arrive within the next 5 minutes or in the next 5000 years, but I assure you, he really is coming quickly so get your guesses in ASAP!)

12 comments:

Machine Gun Kelley said...

Btw, you can get a FREE COPY of this book by visiting American Vision:

http://www.americanvision.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1167

All you have to do is pay postage.

(If you win my contest, you get the book free AND I pay the postage!)

Anonymous said...

Free postage, Whahoo!

I guess: 8.6.

Billy

Scribe said...

Free book AND postage? Double woohoo!!!

Um, my guess is...8.5lbs


Praying for a healthy boy Rhett...congrats!!
/Scribe

kelly jack said...

Rhett,
I'll go with 8.0

kelly

Gordan said...

My psychic powers are leaning toward fatness on this one, so I'll say 9 lbs, 12 oz.

May God grant you a smooth delivery, and health and peace to all involved. Congratulations in advance, Dad.

Even if I don't win the book, although I fail to see how my psychic powers could possibly fail me, I do still, however, want a cigar. And not a Swisher Sweet either.

Exist-Dissolve said...

"myriad speculations"

I appreciate that you avoided using the more vulgar "myriad of"...

My guess: 7.8

Machine Gun Kelley said...

Exist.

"I appreciate that you avoided using the more vulgar 'myriad of'..."

Believe it or not, I learned that from you... :)

Thanks!

Fred said...

my guess. 9lbs 3oz

Machine Gun Kelley said...

Just to clarify:

Even if you guess too higher than the actual weight, you can still win. It's not like the Price is Right where if you bid too much you'll lose...

Joshua A. Hitchcock said...

I am guessing 8.72356983245897. I should get a free book for making a more exact prediction. If my prediction is closest, I get a free book, and even if I am false I should get a free book, since the book is about false predictions? Rhett...are you following my logic?

J.C. Thibodaux said...

9 lbs, 6 oz., though I'm almost positive Hitchcock is going to win. Josh, you should write a book on your predictions, and then produce an endless series of fictional spin-offs based on the ensuing family drama surrounding the birth of a new child, as well as the angst of those relatives who forever miss seeing it while it's a newborn. Just remember to dumb down the plot line, insert numerous incoherent explanations for why your predictions are correct, and use third-grade grammar. I think it'll be a best-seller!

Machine Gun Kelley said...

Contest is over everybody!

Baby arrived today at 4:07pm.

He weighed in @ 8lbs. 1 oz.

Kelly Jack is the winner!

Thanks for participating!

You can still get a free copy at the link I posted above! It's very interesting reading.