Sunday, December 03, 2006

Dry Resolutions: Legalism in the SBC


"Do not suppose that abuses are eliminated by destroying the object which is abused. Men can go wrong with wine and women. Shall we then prohibit and abolish women?" -Martin Luther

As a man who grew up in a family where alcohol was (and is) abused, nobody has to tell me about the dangers of people becoming alcoholics. I lived in it for many years of my life! I hated every minute of it too. I have seen and experienced enough to ensure that I never want to go down that road myself. My heart goes out to everyone who has been somehow effected by the abuse of alcohol. Before I migrated to the Southern Baptist movement, I was part of a denomination that has a strict -and I mean very strict- stance on the use of alcohol in any form. I once believed that if you drank at all, you'd burn in Hell for sure!

Having said all that, it might surprise, shock, and even horrify some people that I am against the passing of a resolution condemning the manufacture, sale, distribution, and consumption of alcohol at the recent Georgia Baptist Convention (and at the overall Southern Baptist Convention as well). While many Southern Baptists are patting themselves on the back for the passing of these resolutions, I honestly think it is taking our movement into dangerous, legalistic waters.

I wonder what could be next? A resolution against the Internet because people often use it for sinful purposes? How about banning Baptists from going to NASCAR races because beer is sold at the tracks? How about a resolution on watching PG-13 movies in theaters? Perhaps we need a dress code to for those sisters who do not have a sanctified sense of modesty in dress? (I wonder if the alcohol resolutions include my homemade Root-beer? After all, It has a small amount of alcohol in it because of the fermentation process!!!) I think you see my point, a line must be drawn somewhere!

Another serious problem I have with the Georgia resolution can be found in its final statement:

"Be It Therefore Finally Resolved, that we also urge Georgia Baptist churches, ministries, and individuals to continue to take a leading role in helping those in bondage to alcohol find healing in Christ, and to help heal and reunite the families that have been damaged by this disease."

Do you see a problem here? Notice that it calls alcoholism a "disease". I don't like the word "disease" because it implies that alcoholism something to be "treated" and not something that needs true repentance! To me it also implies the drunkard is a victim instead of a sinner! I have listened to drunkards who have bought into this disease theory and they have told me plainly: "I have a disease, I cannot help myself. I'll always be an alcoholic as long as I live". Let's be clear, drunkenness (the Biblical word for Alcoholism) is a SIN that requires REPENTANCE! No questions asked!

I believe most studies of alcohol always begin with the false assumption that the substance itself is inherently evil, or a creation of Satan. While the Bible strongly condemns the abuse of wine and strong drink, one cannot look objectively at all the passages in the Bible dealing with the subject, without also seeing that it has many positive things to say as well. The sobering fact is (pun intended), there were actually times that the Bible teaches the drinking of wine and strong drink was allowed as a part of worship to God! (see Deuteronomy 14:24-26 for one example)


I want to recommend a book called "Drinking with Calvin and Luther!" for an eye opening look at the history of alcohol in the church. I think if one takes an open minded look at this subject, he or she will find that this obsession with alcohol in American Christianity is unique to our culture, and not as grounded in the Scriptures as we are being lead to believe. I am sad to say this, but it appears as if Southern Baptists are now getting on a slippery slope of allowing statistics and culture to decide our doctrines and practice instead of good Biblical exegesis.

Please understand, I am not suggesting everybody needs to go out and get a six-pack of Old Milwaukee and a bottle of Boone's Farm to be a good Christian! I am not trying to justify what the Bible calls drunkenness. Let it also be known that I am not some antinomian looking for a license to sin!! If you don't drink at all, that's wonderful! If you drink in moderation, be careful! If you are a drunkard: REPENT! However, just because the drinking of alcohol is the "pet sin" of the majority of Southern Baptists, it doesn't make the legislation of teetotalism Biblical in the least!! May Southern Baptists get back to the principles of Sola Scriptura even if some of the truths we find in Scripture do not sit well in our modern "Ameri-centric" Christian culture.


Suggested articles for those with the Berean spirit:

Totally Abstaining From the Point

How Does It Feel To Exclude Jesus From Your Denomination?

“Wine to Gladden the Heart of Man”: Thoughts on God’s Good Gift of Wine

Will You Be Having Some Wine?

Welch’s Grape Juice, Worldly Wisdom, and Wine

Sour Grapes by R.C. Sproul Jr.


update:

I think they're on to me!!


2 comments:

Bob Hayton said...

Great article, Rhett. Thanks too for the links.

By the way, I like the new site design.

God bless you, bro.

Bob Hayton

Machine Gun Kelley said...

Thanks Bob!

I enjoyed your articles on the topic as well. Usually one finds too much emotion and too little exegesis. ;)

Shalom,

RK